Previously we showed you how to upgrade your Ace’s firmware to Gingerbread (2.3.4) & how to root your phone. (UPDATE: Unofficial CWM V5 is now available.)
Now its time for a tutorial for how to install awesome Clockworkmod recovery on your phone.
ClockworkMod Recovery is very useful over the stock Recovery. It provides you with lot of additional options to work with. Samsung Galaxy Ace users can now have this ClockworkMod or CWM recovery.
Benefits of using ClockworkMod Recovery over Stock Recovery
- It allows you to apply updates from sdcard, this feature is also present in stock recovery. More of the similar functionalities are Wipe data and wipe cache partition.
- Install zip from sdcard is a very useful feature. With this you can easily install custom ROMs just by putting their zip files on SDcard, no need of Odin or a PC anymore.
- You can backup and restore your ROM anytime you wish.
- It allows you to mount several locations and also format SD card or SD card in ext.
- Advance options allow you to reboot in recovery mode, wipe dalvik cache, report error, fix permissions and partition sdcard.
Before moving on to the tutorial, Note that Install CWM 220.127.116.11 only if you are on Gingerbread (2.3.x). You also need to be rooted.
If you are on Froyo, follow the link at the end of the tutorial.
Method 1: Stock recovery method
- Download ClockworkMod Recovery 18.104.22.168. (Applicable to Gingerbread)
- Once the CWM zip file is downloaded, place it to your sdcard.
- Now reboot in recovery mode. (By pressing and holding Power button+Menu button during boot)
- Select ‘Apply Update from SDcard‘ and select the CWM zip file placed in your sdcard. Script will take only a few seconds to run.
- Restart from recovery. For verifying, go into recovery again. You will find stock recovery has been updated to CWM Recovery.
Method 2: Flashing with Odin (.tar not availaible for GB )
- First you need to download the recovery in .tar format.
- Then, run ODIN on your system and click on PDA to choose cwm-recovery-ALL.tar.
- Then, enter download mode on the phone and connect it to the computer via USB.
- Once connected, hit the Start button on ODIN and wait for the recovery to flash.
- Lastly, wait for the phone reboots, disconnect it from the computer and close ODIN.
Method 3: Installing with ROM Manager (UPDATE: Rom manager is only working with CM7 builds for now)
- Install the latest ROM Manager from Android Market.
- Select “Flash ClockworkMod Recovery’.
- Select Samsung Galaxy Ace from the menu that pops up & wait for the recovery to be installed.
- After you’re done, select ‘reboot into recovery’ in ROM Manager and you will boot in CWM interface.
Method 4: Flash_image Method
- Download the .img file from here.
- Boot your device into CWM recovery.
- Push recovery-clockwork-xx-galaxyace.img to your device using command-
“adb push recovery-clockwork-xx-galaxyace.img /tmp/”
- Login to your device over “adb shell”
- Mount /system using command below-
“mount /dev/block/stl12 /system”
- Flash CWM recovery using command below-
“flash_image recoveryonly /tmp/recovery-clockwork-22.214.171.124-galaxyace.img”
- Umount /system
- Reboot your device using “reboot recovery” command to test your new CWM recovery. Reboot your device.
If you are on froyo though, you can still avail the benefits of CWM by following this tutorial-
>> How to install Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) (Froyo)
>> How to Install Clockworkmod Recovery (CWM) V5 on Samsung Galaxy Ace (Gingerbread)
Reverified in Aug ’12