As promised here we are with our much awaited tutorial series Rock Your Ace!
This tutorials series will help you move from any stock ROM be it Froyo/GB or Custom ROM to the most popular and most stable CyanogenMod build. We will keep it as Noob-friendly as possible and will try to answer as many questions as possible.
Why should I upgrade to CyanogenMod?
CyanogenMod is an open-source feature rich alternative to your stock ROM. The main advantage of using it or the features you will get are-
- Powerful DSP Equalizer
- Lockscreen Gestures
- Phone Goggles – Filter calls and SMS
- Themes support
- Incognito Browsing support
- Open VPN
- ‘Swipe to remove‘ notifications
- Custom Bootanimation (you can create one yourself and use it)
- CRT screen off animation
- App2sd support (you will need to partition your sdcard & install Link2sd)
- All updated Google apps with least phone memory usage
- Riddance to Bloatware
- Customizable Toggles (Gps, wifi, bluetooth, screen brightness, screen timeout, torch etc.)
- Powerful Music App
- Gestures Support
- Change Songs with Volume Rocker while phone is locked without waking up the screen (by long pressing the volume rocker)
Sold? No. Here is an official CyanogenMod 7.2 build in action:
What CyanogenMod build are we using?
We are using the latest CyanogenMod build by VO-1 as updated on 25th July.
So moving forward this will be a long tutorial, to keep it simple we will break it into parts. Depending on you build and whatever things you have done with phone (like rooting, CWM recovery), you can join us with that step.
Here is the currently planned structure (which might change slightly)
- Getting Ready
- Moving to a GB build
- Installing ClockworkMod Recovery V4
- Installing ClockworkMod Recovery V5
- Taking Backups
- Nandroid Backup
- Kies Backup Options
- Google Backup
- Photos, Music And Videos
- SMS, MMS, Call Log, Browser Bookmarks
- Installing latest Cyanogenmod
- wipe cache/dalvik cache
- Install CyanogenMod zip through recovery
- Install Gapps
- Install SU app
- Install Link2sd
- Get rid of unwanted apps
- Change your bootscreen
- Install Themes
- Change your font
You can use either use the above structure to navigate to any page or use the link below to move to the next page. The links will be added as soon as the posts are made.
Next: 2. Getting Ready