Yes, you heard us right. You can apply a custom theme to android phone without even rooting & deodexing your firmware. This method is a dream for those who are on stock Android and want to customize the look of their phones.
Important: We are going to be honest with you. This method requires experimentation. So you mightn’t get it working on the first try. It might even result in a bootloop. Don’t worry just flash your firmware again via CWM or ODIN. So it will be a good idea to keep a copy of your installed firmware ready & the method to flash it. This method, in any way possible, can not brick your phone.
This method applies to both Froyo and Gingerbread. On Froyo, you might have to rename ‘UOT .zip’ file to ‘update.zip’.
This tutorial is for Samsung Galaxy Ace. If you are using any other phone, go here.
- Go to the UOT Kitchen page http://uot.dakra.lt/kitchen/
- Browse through the ‘Available Mods’ and choose what you want (don’t forget to press ‘Generate Preview‘ if there is such a button)
- Go to the ‘File Upload‘ section and upload the required files.
Files you need to upload:
If you are on Froyo: framework-res.apk
If you are on Gingerbread: framework-res.apk and SystemUI.apk
Cyanogenmod7 rom: Cyanbread.apk or Androidian.apk or any theme for ThemeChooser (rename as you like it to apear in theme menu)
- Go to the ‘Summary‘ section. All chosen mods must have a green background. If there is a mod in red background it means you didn’t finish it. Boot animation, Emoticons and Window Glowing are not compatible with Galaxy Ace.
- Press ‘Submit work to kitchen’.
- Remember the UOT file name (your order number).
- Go to the Pickup page http://uot.dakra.lt/pickup/ and wait for your file to appear (it can take from 5min to 1hr or more). Download UOT zip into SD card of your phone.
- Reboot into recovery & Wipe cache and dalvik-cache (just in case). Do not wipe data / factory reset.
- Now, in recovery, select “Install zip from sdcard” then select your file “UOT-… .zip” in SD card. Select ‘Install‘.
Wait for script to finish. Reboot phone & you’re done!!
Steps on how to get your Rom’s files for kitchen
From the zip file of your ROM
- Download the ROM you are using.
- Decompress/unzip it using 7zip/winzip.
- Copy the framework-res.apk in system/framework/
- If you have a Gingerbread rom take the SystemUI.apk in system/app/
- Place it anywhere you want (on the desktop for example).
From your phone (if you’re rooted)
- Download a file manager of your choice from the Market.
- Go to /system/framework/ on your phone.
- Copy the framework-res.apk to your SDCard.
- If you have a Gingerbread rom, take the SystemUI.apk in system/app/
- Place them anywhere you want (on the desktop for example)
Here is a video tutorial from the website, just in case.