Previously we showed you how to flash CF-Root kernel on Samsung Galaxy Ace but that version of kernel didn’t include BLN & swap support. Today we are going to show you how to flash this kernel on your stock Gingerbread (versions listed below). This tutorial is not meant for new users.
If you don’t already know, CF-Root kernel is very popular kenel for Samsung Galaxy Ace. It provides many popular features like Ext4 file system & many useful scripts.As of now all the Customs Roms are based on this kernel.
Note : This is not a custom firmware. It is only a kernel for Samsung Galaxy Ace S5830 . You do NOT need to wipe anything for this patch. This will work with KPH/KPN/DDKQ5/KPB/KPO versions of GB.
- You need to have a firmware already on your device.
The “CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b82-ex.zip” package also contains a modified CWM required to work with this kernel.
Features (Only in the Ex Version)
- Swap and BLN support
Using a kernel compiled from source, the config file extracted from DXKPB device (/proc/config.gz) with small modification
Need a patched Service Manager (services.jar) installed on deodexed framework/Rom for fully working BLN. Backup your /system/framework/services.jar first! (Step 6)
- BUGFIX: b82-ex-fixed
Fix for following bugs:
- Auto boot when plugged into the charger/USB from off state or turned off when the device connected to charger/USB
- Gallery3D freeze after browsing some pictures, and then fail to display 3D textures in all 3D app
- Root, su binary v2.3.2-efgh
- Superuser v22.214.171.124
- Busybox v1.17.2 for the boot image and v1.16.2 for the recovery image (from CWM)
- A modified CWM
- CWM Manager
- Boot to CWM
- Backup firmware
- Restore backups (SGA: Do not use CWM Manager to restore any backup for now, use CWM Advance Backup directly)
- Delete backups
- Install APKs
- Flash CWM update.zip’s
- Flash kernels (zImage, zImage in TAR, zImage in ZIP, zImage in TAR in ZIP) (SGA: you have to rename boot.img to zImage)
- Tweak Manager CF-Root includes a number of tweaks that are applied on startup. You can use to select which tweaks to apply.
Kernel: Scheduler option always disabled on boot.
Kernel scheduler tweak not working on S5830.
- Ext4 Manager CF-Root supports ext4 mounts for the main mount points. Filesystem conversion between rfs and ext4, however, requires a secondary external package ‘CF-Root-S5830_ext4-v1.3u3.apk’ (Step 3).
ou can use the “ext4” app to convert between filesystems, manually check the filesystem, etc.
No need to revert back to rfs before flashing a new stock Gingerbread Rom. Tested using XXKPH, XWKPN, and DXKPB.
- Show current filesystem status
- Convert between rfs <=> ext4 and back
- Manual fsck
- Selects either internal or external sdcard for temporary storage, depending on which has the most space
- Automatically reverts on conversion failure
Please note that when first using the tool to convert, you will probably notice /system is not converted. If this happens, it is because /system does not have enough free space for the extra space overhead of ext4. You will need to free up some space on /system before the conversion will succeed.
- Dark Tremor a2sd:
A modified DT’s apps2sd to guarantee no interference with Wi-Fi, Bluetooth, GPS etc. (Step 4)
By default, CF-Root doesn’t automatically starts a2sd script during boot.
Now have “DT: Auto start” option to turn on/off Darktremor’s a2sd script on boot. Don’t worry, Darktremor a2sd setting is persistent, even if you turn off the auto start script. It’s safer to turn a2sd auto start off!
- Custom boot / init scripts
- Custom boot animations and binaries
- Boot into default CWM4 recovery or Stock recovery. Flash CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b82.zip.
- Download “b82-ex-fixed.zip” to SD card from below and then install it via “CWM Manager – Flash kernel” or using CWM recovery.
- Download the ‘CF-Root-S5830_ext4-v1.3u3.apk’ from below.
Copy it to your SD card.
Start CWM Manager & select “Install APK”, point to the APK and tap to install.
- Download “CF-Root-S5830_dtapps2sd-v1.2.zip”. Copy it to the root of your SD card. Flash it using ‘Modified CWM recovery’ or CWM Manager. Flash update.
- Run Tweak Manager and select “DT: Auto start” option, then “Apply changes” to reboot your phone.
When booting, bootloop will occur several times during DT apps2sd activation for the first time.
- Backup your ‘/system/framework/services.jar’ by copying it somewhere else using a file manager.
Now download “CF-Root-S5830_yourfirmware-services.zip” from below & flash it using CWM manager or CWM recovery.
(Imp.- Select the proper zip matching with your firmware number. You need to deodex your Rom before flashing patched services.jar)
Kernel: CF-Root-S5830-v3.7-b82-ex.zip (11.83 MB)
Bugfix: b82-ex-fixed.zip (4.83 MB)
FS Converter: CF-Root-S5830_ext4-v1.3u3.apk (1.44 MB)
A2SD: CF-Root-S5830_dtapps2sd-v1.2.zip(1.08 MB)
CF-Root-S5830_KPH-services.zip (840.8 KB)
Important: Installing busybox over the included version is not recommended.
It is possible to install a custom busybox. However, this is not without risk. CF-Root makes heavy use of scripting, and many CF-Root scripts rely on the internal busybox version. If you do install a seperate busybox version (always use “stericson” installer!), install it to /system/xbin. Installing it to /system/bin will mess things up for sure. Even if you do that part right, it may still break CF-Root, so make sure to make a backup before trying.
Special thanks to the developers chainfire for developing the Kernel & ketut.kumajaya for porting it to SGA.
How to setup BLN (Back Light Notifications) on your phone? Coming soon.