NOTE: The lastest version of this article has moved here. Please bookmark the new site.
The latest firmware for Indian region is now Android Gingerbread 2.3.4 KQ5. Ace originally shipped with Froyo 2.2.1 KC1.
Here is a comprehensive tutorial to upgrade your phone via Kies.Agreed that Kies 2.x isn’t the best & most reliable Piece of software around, but frankly if you have seen Kies 1.x, you will relieved to be using 2.x.
So you might run into trouble while upgrade, but I have provided fix for that.
Without further ado… Here you go…
- Install Samsung Kies from the CD provided with the handset. If you don’t have the CD, you can download Kies from Samsung’s website here. You need a latest version of Kies otherwise you will not get the latest version of Android. If you installed Kies from CD then check for any Kies updates.
Note- If you installed Kies after downloading from website then install USB drivers manually by going to Tools->Install Driver in kies.
- When the installation is complete. open Kies and connect your phone using data cable.
- As soon as you connect your phone to your PC, you will get a notification that a new firmware version is available and it will ask you to upgrade. Choose Update button to update it now.
- Click on Start upgrade. (Note- A full battery is not necessarily required)
- When the update process starts, it will start downloading firmware upgrade components. You can take a backup of your contacts and bookmarks when prompted. The upgrade won’t result in losing your data, sms, contacts or Apps. But it is still a good idea to have in case something might go wrong.
- Now the firmware download will start and it will take around 5 minutes to download the necessary files (I was on a fast connection, it might take you more time). Don’t disconnect your phone while upgrade is under process. After the download, the dialog will say “upgrading firmware” & your phone will boot into recovery. But it has a bad habit of getting stuck at 0%. So if you are stuck, do this-
- Disconnect cable (though the dialog explicitly says not to do this)
- Restart phone.
- Close kies (or force close if it goes unresponsive.)
- Try to reconnect. If Kies doesn’t detect your phone now, then don’t worry, reinstall kies and usb drivers.
- When the update process will finish, a window will pop up saying Firmware upgrade complete.
Your phone will reboot & voila!!
Now you are using Android 2.3.4 DDKQ5 on Samsung Galaxy Ace officially.
An easier but unofficial method will be to update your phone directly by ODIN. Here is the tutorial-
>> How to upgrade Samsung Galaxy Ace via ODIN.
Leave comments if you ran in trouble.